Wednesday, December 5, 2007

One Week Old!

Yesterday Carson & Cade had their one week birthday!!! We took them in for a check up and they passed with flying colors. Both have maintained their weight and continue to grow and develop. Cade is still developing his sucking reflux and is having a more difficult time nursing. Carson is doing great in this area but it's hard when they have such individual challenges and needs...makes for some very sleepless nights. Once they mature I know things will get better. I've never felt so happy and so unsure at the same time. My mom leaves this afternoon and Annette will take her shift (I don't know if she realizes what she's in for & I don't want to tell her until she's here to stay!!!). I get really overwhelmed when I think of my help leaving so I try not to think about that. I talked to a doctor with twins and he told me that it took them about 4 months to feel like they could do it on their own and I can definetely see how that would be the case. I know I will be blessed to care for my babies but I am feeling pretty overwhelmed by the task.
I am so grateful that they are doing so well. This experience has made me realize how important it is for babies to spend as much time as possible inside their mommies! Cade & Carson came 5 weeks early and I know that most of my current challenges are because of their prematurity. I just need to give them time. I am overwhelmed with love for these two precious spirits and I want to give them my very best...one day at a time.
We will try to post some more pictures tonight!

2 comments:

Carol Lambert said...

Hey, Amy, my baby is 28 years old and sometimes I am still overwhelmed!!! And, my mother left me on my own a LONG time ago! I think that what you are feeling is perfectly normal, but know that you are already giving them all they need ... and you did such a great job of that the past couple of months. Each day may bring challenges, but even more joys! I know it is hard to believe, but the time will go quickly, and you won't believe they are 1 month, 6 months, 1 year, etc. You have been given the greatest blessing God could give -- to be a mother, and know that intense love that only a mother can feel. Dads come in a close second, I am sure! Know that with the blessing and responsibility of motherhood, the Lord also sends help, support, and calming assistance as needed. Go to Him every day, many times a day ... He is the best "Childhood Expert" you can find! You are such a special new mom, and I know you and Shane are wonderful parents and will continue to be so. Look to your own parents, and Shane's, as great examples ... and remember, they started as new, scared, excited, first-time parents once upon a time, too! Of course, they didn't have twins, so you will always be able to "One-Up" them! (Unless, of course, they decide to become parents again in their old age and also have two little darlings -- wouldn't that be fun??!!!)We love you and can't wait to see those little guys!
Love,
Auntie Carol

Nan and Aaron said...

Carol, thanks for the awesome comment. It totally hit home with me too and I think I almost got a little emotional. It's so fun that we can all connect while supporting Amy and Shane. Life adventures allow us to grow and learn from each other. I LOVE that aspect of life. Keep the comments coming, I always love yours.

And Amy, I can only imagine how exhausted you are. But I'm glad you're enjoying it too. There is a special spirit that comes with little newborns and they grow way too fast. Try to get at least a little sleep. Maybe I can watch the boys for a day while I am there and you can sleep...the whole day!!! I love you so much and am so lucky to be your sis! You're in my prayers.

Nan